How to Factory Reset Macbook?
Having a Macbook can be one of the best experiences. You may have been using it for years but just like change is the rule of nature, you may have to reset it due to any of the reasons. Mac works on the specialized MacOS that is not easy to reset like any other Android device. Resetting Macbook is easy and can be achieved in simple steps only.
Factory reset is the in-built option in any smart device that lets the existing user delete all existing data and make it like new. Let us start with the top reasons that may ask for the need to factory reset your Macbook.
Why factory reset Macbook?
Multiple reasons may call for doing a factory reset on Macbook. While it is the primary need of the seller while looking for a potential buyer for your Macbook, it ensures data privacy. It becomes easy to strike a profitable deal for your Macbook when you’re sure about data safety.
Many times, your Macbook’s data may have exceeded the storage limits and you feel like it is easy to reset after saving the necessary data. Reset gives the quick option to free up all memory and get to the factory settings to make your data-filled Macbook like a new one. Let us now move to the quick steps to factory reset Macbook.
Steps to factory reset Macbook:
Whether you’re having a Macbook, iMac, Macbook Air, or Macbook Pro, you can go for the quick following steps to factory reset it:
1. Data backup:
Data backup is essentially the first step as factory reset deletes all data on the hard drive of the Macbook. Hence, it is recommended to take a backup of all valuable files. It is easy to use Mac’s in-built software called “Time Machine.” Before using this feature for data backup you can run CCleaner that can clean, optimize, and tune up your system for quick backup. The quick steps for running Time Machine are:
- Go to the Apple menu and locate the System Preferences menu.
- Select the Time Machine option.
- Select the disk that is set to be used as Time Machine backup and go for “Use disk.”
- Backup is created in a few minutes depending on the amount of data.
2. Sign-in out of iMessage and iCloud:
It is crucial to sign out of the iMessage and iCloud to eliminate any residuals of the data or conversations on the Macbook. The quick steps for the same are:
- Go to the Apple menu and locate the “System Preferences” option.
- Select your Apple ID and go for the overview.
- Go to the sign-out option.
- Go to Messages option.
- Go to the Messages in the menu bar located in the top left corner.
- Go to Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select iMessage and go to “Sign Out.”
3. Unpairing Bluetooth devices:
It is easy to unpair different Bluetooth devices from Macbook by:
- Go to Bluetooth preferences.
- Select the device that needs to the unpaired.
- Go to the “x” button and go to “remove.”
4. Resetting Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM):
The different settings like last kernel panic, screen resolution, sound volume, startup disk, etc., are saved in the non-volatile RAM (NVRAM). Hence, it is necessary to reset NVRAM in the following steps:
- Shut down the Macbook.
- Start Macbook.
- Press and hold the Option- Command- P- R for at least 20 seconds.
- Release and the NVRAM reset is complete.
5. Using migration assistant:
It is a crucial step for the users migrating to another Mac device after completing the factory reset on the current Max device. The Migration Assistant can automatically copy all the system files to the new Mac device without the need to copy all these files one by one. The quick steps for the same include:
- Go to the Applications folder and open the “Utilities” option.
- Go to Migration Assistant and go to “Continue.”
- Enter the administrator’s password.
- Go to the “From a Mac, Time Machine backup, Startup backup” option and continue.
- Select the other Mac and continue.
- Select the information you want to transfer and continue.
6. Using Erase Assistant tool for removing data:
Once data backup and all accounts are sign-outs successfully from the Macbook, it is time to wipe the data. The Erase Assistant Tool is available in the Intel-based Macs, Apple silicon-based Macs, macOS Monterey, etc. It can quickly wipe the Macbook in the following steps:
- Go to System Preferences and open “Erase All Content & Settings.”
- Enter the administrator password.
- Go to the data for starting to erase process.
- It clears all data, all Apple ID details, Apple Wallet, Touch ID, etc., at once.
7. Wiping hard drive in recovery mode:
Wiping data is not enough when you’re planning to sell your existing Macbook. The ideal way is to wipe the startup disk of the Macbook that has the name “Macintosh HD.” The quick steps for wiping it are:
- Start the Macbook and press “Command-R” until the Apple logo turns up.
- Go to “Disk Utility” in the utility window.
- Select “Macintosh HD.”
- Click “Erase” and enter the name as “Macintosh HD” and format as Mac OS Extended or APFS.
- Click “Erase Volume Group.”
- You can select other internal volumes in the sidebar and then quit the disk utility.
8. Reinstalling macOS:
Last but not least is reinstalling macOS by following steps:
- Go to the Utilities menu.
- Select “Reinstall macOS.”
- Click “Confirm” and follow quick instructions to install macOS.
- You can continue the setup process or keep it pending for the new user according to convenience.
Hence, no need to seek any technical consultation when you can factory reset your Macbook on all your own. The quick and straightforward steps make this process quick and effective at the same time. Starting from data backup to reinstalling macOS the whole process is simple when executed with full attention and detail.
How to Fix a Kmode Exception Not Handled Error in Windows
Introduction: If you use Windows frequently, encountering bugs and errors is quite inevitable, especially the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors. And well, one such frustrating issue is the kmode exception not handled error that barges out of the blue hindering your workflow. Whether you are a tech-savvy enthusiast or a casual user, understanding and […]
How to Fix the “Class not Registered” Error on Windows
Introduction: If you’ve ever encountered the frustrating “Class not Registered” error message on your Windows computer, you’re not alone. This common issue can occur when you attempt to open a file, launch an application, or perform certain actions on your system. It often leaves users puzzled and wondering what went wrong. The “Class not Registered” […]
How to Screen Record on Windows 11
Introduction Open the Snipping Tool to begin a screen recording in Windows 11 to capture what is on your screen. You can also open the Game Bar on your Xbox by pressing Windows+G, then launch the recording window and tap the record button. Use a third-party program, such as OBS, ScreenPresso, or GeForce Service, to […]
Best Apple Pencil Apps for Productivity in 2023
Introduction The Ecosystem of the Apple company is huge as once you purchase any Apple device, you cannot resist other accessories of the Apple company. An Apple pencil is a part of the ecosystem and accessories for iOS Tablets and Macs. Whether you own a Tablet, MacBook, or iPhone, Apple pencil works on every device. […]
How to Customize the Taskbar in Windows 11
Introduction Taskbar is very useful in quick access to any other Windows directly from the Taskbar panel. But are you aware of the advantages and features you can access with a taskbar? Many people have no clue about what you can do with your Taskbar and how you can customize it. Therefore you can enjoy […]
Top 10 Offline RPGs For Windows in 2023
Introduction Looking for offline games! We got you a list of RPGs in 2023. In the developing World, the gaming community is rising with lightning speed. People play multiple role play games online with friends or for earning purposes. Nowadays, there are many popular platforms like YouTube and Twitch where you can earn money by […]
10 Best Coding Apps for Kids on Android And iOS
Introduction There has never been a better opportunity to get a competitive edge on whatever you want your young champ to learn, whether it is how to build some of the best useful apps or beautiful websites. The nicest aspect is the absence of an age requirement. It gives everyone—adults, teenagers, and children—endless opportunities. As […]
The Best 5 Screenshot Applications for Android to try now
You often struggle with taking screenshots on your Android phone following the default method, i.e., pressing the lock and volume down buttons together. The situation worsens further when either of the keys is not working properly. Besides, you need to synchronize the press times of both keys to take the screenshot, which often leads to […]
10 Best Translator Apps for Android & iOS
Introduction Technology has made it easy for people to connect worldwide. Whether you are interacting online or traveling to other locations, you can talk directly to people from those areas. Yet, just because the means to do it is now available, it does not remove the problem of language barriers. While you can learn the […]
How To Fix WhatsApp Voice Or Video Call With No Sound?
Introduction WhatsApp is a popular way to stay in touch with friends and family worldwide. However, a WhatsApp call without your friend’s voice or smile is the worst. Poor network connectivity, device malfunction, or software glitches can cause this. WhatsApp calls without sound can be fixed easily. You can quickly resolve the problem and resume […]