How to Factory Reset Macbook?
Having a Macbook can be one of the best experiences. You may have been using it for years but just like change is the rule of nature, you may have to reset it due to any of the reasons. Mac works on the specialized MacOS that is not easy to reset like any other Android device. Resetting Macbook is easy and can be achieved in simple steps only.
Factory reset is the in-built option in any smart device that lets the existing user delete all existing data and make it like new. Let us start with the top reasons that may ask for the need to factory reset your Macbook.
Why factory reset Macbook?
Multiple reasons may call for doing a factory reset on Macbook. While it is the primary need of the seller while looking for a potential buyer for your Macbook, it ensures data privacy. It becomes easy to strike a profitable deal for your Macbook when you’re sure about data safety.
Many times, your Macbook’s data may have exceeded the storage limits and you feel like it is easy to reset after saving the necessary data. Reset gives the quick option to free up all memory and get to the factory settings to make your data-filled Macbook like a new one. Let us now move to the quick steps to factory reset Macbook.
Steps to factory reset Macbook:
Whether you’re having a Macbook, iMac, Macbook Air, or Macbook Pro, you can go for the quick following steps to factory reset it:
1. Data backup:
Data backup is essentially the first step as factory reset deletes all data on the hard drive of the Macbook. Hence, it is recommended to take a backup of all valuable files. It is easy to use Mac’s in-built software called “Time Machine.” Before using this feature for data backup you can run CCleaner that can clean, optimize, and tune up your system for quick backup. The quick steps for running Time Machine are:
- Go to the Apple menu and locate the System Preferences menu.
- Select the Time Machine option.
- Select the disk that is set to be used as Time Machine backup and go for “Use disk.”
- Backup is created in a few minutes depending on the amount of data.
2. Sign-in out of iMessage and iCloud:
It is crucial to sign out of the iMessage and iCloud to eliminate any residuals of the data or conversations on the Macbook. The quick steps for the same are:
- Go to the Apple menu and locate the “System Preferences” option.
- Select your Apple ID and go for the overview.
- Go to the sign-out option.
- Go to Messages option.
- Go to the Messages in the menu bar located in the top left corner.
- Go to Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select iMessage and go to “Sign Out.”
3. Unpairing Bluetooth devices:
It is easy to unpair different Bluetooth devices from Macbook by:
- Go to Bluetooth preferences.
- Select the device that needs to the unpaired.
- Go to the “x” button and go to “remove.”
4. Resetting Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM):
The different settings like last kernel panic, screen resolution, sound volume, startup disk, etc., are saved in the non-volatile RAM (NVRAM). Hence, it is necessary to reset NVRAM in the following steps:
- Shut down the Macbook.
- Start Macbook.
- Press and hold the Option- Command- P- R for at least 20 seconds.
- Release and the NVRAM reset is complete.
5. Using migration assistant:
It is a crucial step for the users migrating to another Mac device after completing the factory reset on the current Max device. The Migration Assistant can automatically copy all the system files to the new Mac device without the need to copy all these files one by one. The quick steps for the same include:
- Go to the Applications folder and open the “Utilities” option.
- Go to Migration Assistant and go to “Continue.”
- Enter the administrator’s password.
- Go to the “From a Mac, Time Machine backup, Startup backup” option and continue.
- Select the other Mac and continue.
- Select the information you want to transfer and continue.
6. Using Erase Assistant tool for removing data:
Once data backup and all accounts are sign-outs successfully from the Macbook, it is time to wipe the data. The Erase Assistant Tool is available in the Intel-based Macs, Apple silicon-based Macs, macOS Monterey, etc. It can quickly wipe the Macbook in the following steps:
- Go to System Preferences and open “Erase All Content & Settings.”
- Enter the administrator password.
- Go to the data for starting to erase process.
- It clears all data, all Apple ID details, Apple Wallet, Touch ID, etc., at once.
7. Wiping hard drive in recovery mode:
Wiping data is not enough when you’re planning to sell your existing Macbook. The ideal way is to wipe the startup disk of the Macbook that has the name “Macintosh HD.” The quick steps for wiping it are:
- Start the Macbook and press “Command-R” until the Apple logo turns up.
- Go to “Disk Utility” in the utility window.
- Select “Macintosh HD.”
- Click “Erase” and enter the name as “Macintosh HD” and format as Mac OS Extended or APFS.
- Click “Erase Volume Group.”
- You can select other internal volumes in the sidebar and then quit the disk utility.
8. Reinstalling macOS:
Last but not least is reinstalling macOS by following steps:
- Go to the Utilities menu.
- Select “Reinstall macOS.”
- Click “Confirm” and follow quick instructions to install macOS.
- You can continue the setup process or keep it pending for the new user according to convenience.
Hence, no need to seek any technical consultation when you can factory reset your Macbook on all your own. The quick and straightforward steps make this process quick and effective at the same time. Starting from data backup to reinstalling macOS the whole process is simple when executed with full attention and detail.
Internet connectivity is the need of all smartphones, with many service providers rolling out the 5th generation internet services. Popularly called 5G, many Android devices are already updated to use these services. Not long ago, iPhone joined the brigade of 5G-supporting devices with its models starting from iPhone 12 series. Hence, many iPhone users look […]
Introduction Any software part or app Mac users download generally appears as a DMG file on the computer. To explain, these are essentially containers for applications on Mac devices. Typically, the installation process occurs without excessive installation wizards on Mac while using DMG files. In this context, a question comes up for some users- if […]
Introduction While using the computer for specific work, seeing prompts pop up about some system issue can dampen the progress heavily. One such command that many Windows notice sometimes is the “Microsoft setup bootstrapper has stopped working” error code. Typically, it is noticeable while users are trying to launch one or more than one programs […]
Introduction Keeping documents in PDF format is a common choice in businesses, teaching institutes, and other industries. This makes transferring files, storing digital copies, and other uses easier. However, before passing the PDF files onward, it is important to check the content for any errors, sensitive details, etc. If any such data is available here, […]
Introduction Many people use digital means to transfer documents, files, and such data to other users. Solutions currently allow e-signatures and document editing, but the need for printing is still important in some industries. Whether for professional or personal use, investing in printers is valuable for people who need to create physical copies of their […]
Introduction While operating a Windows, people can expect high-grade functionality and simple usability throughout. However, some errors come up and cause issues with steady operations or at least disturb other functions to some extent. The “Windows PowerShell not opening” error is one such issue that is rare but can affect regular functions for users. The […]
Introduction For device storage, different types of file systems are essential to take note of. The latest popular type with high storage Data transfer rate is the NTFS file system launched by Microsoft. However, while the NTFS solution is very efficient for Windows users, Mac users cannot utilize its benefits due to compatibility issues. To […]
Have you received the “VAC was unable to verify your game session” message recently? Let us know all about this error observed during the matchmaking process in Steam details. We’ll go through the top reasons, quick checks, and detailed fixes for managing this VAC issue. Why VAC was unable to verify the game session? Valve’s […]
Content marketing is the leading digital marketing strategy focusing on creating and distributing consistent, relevant, and valuable content. Content marketing services have proven to have different benefits to the business, including improved sales, cost savings, and increased loyal customers. It is great to have a quick look at the top content marketing statistics before moving […]
Software development is a booming industry with multiple beginners trying their hand at creating amazing applications. Out of all the possible solutions available in the market, open-source apps can be a great help for beginners in application development. Do you know that around 70,000 new Android and 32,000 new iOS applications are launched every month? […]