How to Factory Reset Macbook?
Having a Macbook can be one of the best experiences. You may have been using it for years but just like change is the rule of nature, you may have to reset it due to any of the reasons. Mac works on the specialized MacOS that is not easy to reset like any other Android device. Resetting Macbook is easy and can be achieved in simple steps only.
Factory reset is the in-built option in any smart device that lets the existing user delete all existing data and make it like new. Let us start with the top reasons that may ask for the need to factory reset your Macbook.
Why factory reset Macbook?
Multiple reasons may call for doing a factory reset on Macbook. While it is the primary need of the seller while looking for a potential buyer for your Macbook, it ensures data privacy. It becomes easy to strike a profitable deal for your Macbook when you’re sure about data safety.
Many times, your Macbook’s data may have exceeded the storage limits and you feel like it is easy to reset after saving the necessary data. Reset gives the quick option to free up all memory and get to the factory settings to make your data-filled Macbook like a new one. Let us now move to the quick steps to factory reset Macbook.
Steps to factory reset Macbook:
Whether you’re having a Macbook, iMac, Macbook Air, or Macbook Pro, you can go for the quick following steps to factory reset it:
1. Data backup:
Data backup is essentially the first step as factory reset deletes all data on the hard drive of the Macbook. Hence, it is recommended to take a backup of all valuable files. It is easy to use Mac’s in-built software called “Time Machine.” Before using this feature for data backup you can run CCleaner that can clean, optimize, and tune up your system for quick backup. The quick steps for running Time Machine are:
- Go to the Apple menu and locate the System Preferences menu.
- Select the Time Machine option.
- Select the disk that is set to be used as Time Machine backup and go for “Use disk.”
- Backup is created in a few minutes depending on the amount of data.
2. Sign-in out of iMessage and iCloud:
It is crucial to sign out of the iMessage and iCloud to eliminate any residuals of the data or conversations on the Macbook. The quick steps for the same are:
- Go to the Apple menu and locate the “System Preferences” option.
- Select your Apple ID and go for the overview.
- Go to the sign-out option.
- Go to Messages option.
- Go to the Messages in the menu bar located in the top left corner.
- Go to Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select iMessage and go to “Sign Out.”
3. Unpairing Bluetooth devices:
It is easy to unpair different Bluetooth devices from Macbook by:
- Go to Bluetooth preferences.
- Select the device that needs to the unpaired.
- Go to the “x” button and go to “remove.”
4. Resetting Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM):
The different settings like last kernel panic, screen resolution, sound volume, startup disk, etc., are saved in the non-volatile RAM (NVRAM). Hence, it is necessary to reset NVRAM in the following steps:
- Shut down the Macbook.
- Start Macbook.
- Press and hold the Option- Command- P- R for at least 20 seconds.
- Release and the NVRAM reset is complete.
5. Using migration assistant:
It is a crucial step for the users migrating to another Mac device after completing the factory reset on the current Max device. The Migration Assistant can automatically copy all the system files to the new Mac device without the need to copy all these files one by one. The quick steps for the same include:
- Go to the Applications folder and open the “Utilities” option.
- Go to Migration Assistant and go to “Continue.”
- Enter the administrator’s password.
- Go to the “From a Mac, Time Machine backup, Startup backup” option and continue.
- Select the other Mac and continue.
- Select the information you want to transfer and continue.
6. Using Erase Assistant tool for removing data:
Once data backup and all accounts are sign-outs successfully from the Macbook, it is time to wipe the data. The Erase Assistant Tool is available in the Intel-based Macs, Apple silicon-based Macs, macOS Monterey, etc. It can quickly wipe the Macbook in the following steps:
- Go to System Preferences and open “Erase All Content & Settings.”
- Enter the administrator password.
- Go to the data for starting to erase process.
- It clears all data, all Apple ID details, Apple Wallet, Touch ID, etc., at once.
7. Wiping hard drive in recovery mode:
Wiping data is not enough when you’re planning to sell your existing Macbook. The ideal way is to wipe the startup disk of the Macbook that has the name “Macintosh HD.” The quick steps for wiping it are:
- Start the Macbook and press “Command-R” until the Apple logo turns up.
- Go to “Disk Utility” in the utility window.
- Select “Macintosh HD.”
- Click “Erase” and enter the name as “Macintosh HD” and format as Mac OS Extended or APFS.
- Click “Erase Volume Group.”
- You can select other internal volumes in the sidebar and then quit the disk utility.
8. Reinstalling macOS:
Last but not least is reinstalling macOS by following steps:
- Go to the Utilities menu.
- Select “Reinstall macOS.”
- Click “Confirm” and follow quick instructions to install macOS.
- You can continue the setup process or keep it pending for the new user according to convenience.
Hence, no need to seek any technical consultation when you can factory reset your Macbook on all your own. The quick and straightforward steps make this process quick and effective at the same time. Starting from data backup to reinstalling macOS the whole process is simple when executed with full attention and detail.
Having trouble with your WLAN drivers? Explore a step-by-step guide to download 802 11n WLAN driver on Windows, including manual settings and automatic updates.
Stuck with the Mac won’t boot into recovery mode issue? In this guide, we will explore the most probable causes behind this issue and provide you with practical solutions.
The calendar app plays a vital role in managing daily schedules. In this troubleshooting guide, we have listed some of the best fixes to fix the Calendar app not working issue on Windows.
Introduction: The Downloads folder on our Windows computers serves as a crucial hub for storing all the files we acquired from the web. Whether it’s important documents, entertaining videos, or software installations, this folder plays a vital role in organizing and accessing our digital content. However, encountering the downloads folder not responding issue can be […]
Introduction: Encountering the “Your IP has been temporarily blocked” on your PC can be frustrating as it hinders your browsing experience. Whether you are trying to access a website, send an important email, or stream your favorite content, receiving the dreaded message can leave you feeling helpless and disconnected from the online world. The good […]
Introduction: Text messaging has become deeply ingrained in our daily lives. Whether it’s a heartfelt conversation, important information, or cherished memories, our Android phones store a treasure trove of valuable messages. But what happens when you need a hard copy of those messages? Fear not, for we have the solution. In this comprehensive guide, we […]
Introduction: Gone are the days when video creation and sharing were reserved for a privileged few. In today’s age, YouTube has become the ultimate hub for video content and entertainment that draws countless viewers from all corners of the world. Whether you’re a budding filmmaker, a passionate vlogger, or a business owner seeking to expand […]
Introduction: Agree or not but ChatGPT is an extraordinary AI marvel that has taken the digital world by storm. With the help of this intuitive platform, you can have endless human-like conversations and get answers to almost anything. Powered by the latest breakthroughs in natural language processing, ChatGPT has revolutionized the way we interact, learn, […]
Introduction Windows losing its network connection without warning may be very upsetting. Whatever the connection to your Wi-Fi is steady, you could still see the error message “Windows can’t connect to this network.” Fortunately, you may attempt a variety of options. This article will examine five solutions to a Windows computer’s inability to link to […]